Monday, February 12, 2007

Linda's How-Do-I Series? What About Banners? How Do I Know What Size To Get?

For first time crafters on the web banners, buttons, and plugs can all be so confusing. Not to mention size, pixels, inches. What are you talking about?

Well, the good news is that it's not as confusing as you may think and here's why. If you are a small business crafter on the web there are basically 4 sizes of banners that you need to get started, which are as follows:

1) STANDARD Banner - 468x60 pixels

For example:


Used For: All banner advertising rotations, banner exchanges with other websites, automated banner exchange directories, most topsite listings, and some directory listings. Can also be used for forum signatures, banners for tops of online craft show booths, tops of EZShoppe booths, tops of DIY websites and tops of blogs, standard banner size plugboards.

2) Small Button - 125x125 pixels

For example:

Used For: Banner or Product advertising on other websites, some directory advertising or listings, and sidebars of blogs.

3) Button 150x150 pixels

For example:

Used For: Banner or Product advertising on other websites, some directory advertising or listings, and sidebars of blogs.

4) Mini-Banner or Plug - 88x31 pixels

For example:


Used For: Plugboard advertising.

The above listed are the most common. However, when I make my banners and button for all of my various websites I always make all of the above plus the following sizes:

1)Mini-Standard Banner - 234x30 pixels

For example:


Used For: Blog articles.

2) Button 200x200 pixels

For example:

Used For: Blog articles and advertising.

3) Button 300x300 pixels

For example:

Used For: Blog articles and advertising.

4) Mini-Button (what I like to call my 1" button) 100x100 pixels

For example:

Used For: Blog sidebars and e-catalogs.

So, whenever I create a new website I always create 8 different sizes of banners and buttons. Banners and buttons are always measured on the web in terms of pixels.

Now, you might be wondering how you go about creating your own banners and what size do you start with.

Well, for standard banners I always start with a design that is either 3744x480 pixels or 1872x240 pixels. The reason that I start with a larger size canvas is that it's much easier to add text and images to a larger canvas. Then when I'm happy with the design I save one .jpeg file as a large file and then re-size my image down using Adobe Photoshop to create a 468x60.jpg file and a 234x30.jpg file. The reason for the exact sizes of 3744x480 pixels or 1872x240 pixels is that they reduce proportionately down to either 468x60 pixels or 234x30 pixels.

For the button banners I always start with a canvas that is 1800x1800 pixels square. Again, when I'm happy with my design I save 1 large .jpg file and then re-size my image proportionately down using Adobe Photoshop to create 5 separate .jpg button files as follows: 100x100 pixels, 125x125 pixels, 150x150 pixels, 200x200 pixels, and 300x300 pixels.

For the plug mini-banners I always start with a canvas that is 704x248 pixels. When I'm happy with my design I save 1 large .jpg file and then re-size my image proprtionately down using Adobe Photoshop to one 88x31 pixel plug.

I prefer Adobe Photoshop for reducing my images as I have found that they reduce the images the clearest of any of the picture enhancing software that I have used. When you talking about little banners you definitely want them to be clear.


Posted by Linda Walsh Originals - "Doll Patterns for Grown-up Girls!"

No comments:

Post a Comment