Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tips From The Blogging Queen - Are Blogs Really Helpful? - Column 1

"Tips From the Blogging Queen" Column First Published in Faithful Friends Online Newsletter 10/1/2006

I get asked all the time - "Would a blog really be helpful to my small business website?

The answer is definitely "YES."

You might be wondering - "How?"

Well, for many reasons. Today, we are going to look at one reason - Search Engines. Future "Tips From The Blogging Queen" columns will look at some of the other reasons.

So, one reason they can be helpful to your small business website is that they can help towards getting your small business website noticed in the search engines.

Let me explain by telling you that I started my main doll pattern website in June of 2005 and my 2nd main handmade dolls & crafts website in May 2006. I started my main blog in June 2005 and have published over 250 articles (i.e. posts) to date. All of my websites and blogs have links to each other.

Well, my main blog has a better Google Page Rank then my two main websites. My main blog has a Google page rank of 4 while my websites are a 3 and a 2, respectively. So, articles published on my blog have better search engine ranking and visibility then my two main websites do.

Does this help me? Absolutely!

How?

Well, let's take a look at Google's own explanation of Page Rank. According to Google - Technology PageRank Is Explained As:

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.


My main blog is ranked as more "important" than my two main websites and as such makes my other pages (i.e. main websites) more important.

Every time I write an article I make sure that my article mentions "keywords" that I want the search engines to hone in on. Also, every time I write and publish an article for my blog I always add the same information at the bottom of each published post. Published by: MY MAIN WEBSITE NAME with Clickable Link and my main website byline. That way every article that is published has a link back to my main website. A "keyword" within the body of the article to hone in on and a link that the Google search engines can follow, as well as a clickable link that the web searcher can follow.

Since each article published in a blog creates it's own unique url and since I have published over 250 articles on just my main blog alone, that means that I have over 250 unique url's with links back to my main website for the search engines to utilize. More exposure the more likely I will be in the search results.

Will that help my business? I would certainly hope so.

What do all the experts tell you is the most important thing you can do for a business?

It's "Advertise."

Well, every article I post to my blog is FREE advertising for my main website.

So, are blogs really helpful? I would hope you would agree that they are.

Please stay tuned to my next "Tips From The Blogging Queen" column where we'll be looking at other ways that blogs can be helpful to your small business website.


Copyright © 2006—All Rights Reserved — Written By Linda Walsh of Linda Walsh Originals and Linda's Blog. Linda is a doll maker and doll pattern designer. http://lindawalshoriginals.com




"Tips From The Blogging Queen" Column 1 Definition -

BLOGSNOB - A person who refuses to respond to comments on their blog from people outside their circle of friends.

Be sure to tune in to future TFTBQ Columns on "Commenting On Blogs and How That Can Be Helpful To Your Small Business Website!"

1 comment:

Rogers Market said...

Nice pages here. Great information. Will visit again and recommend.

Post a Comment